nursing home abuse lawyers in Chicago, IL

If you suspect that your aging relative is the victim of abuse, neglect, or exploitation, there are many agencies that are available to report your complaints to.

After learning that a loved one of yours has been abused or mistreated in some way by nursing home staff or even another resident, you may be feeling helpless, guilty, and angry. The truth is, it’s never easy to make the decision to move a relative who can no longer care for themselves into a nursing home, however, sometimes, it a choice individuals must make who cannot provide the care their loved one requires. But the last thing anyone expects while their family member is being cared for by someone other than themselves is that they are going to be subjected to abuse or neglect.


Sadly, nursing home residents are mistreated frequently due to understaffed homes, poorly trained staff members, or individuals who are overworked and burnt out.


Now, while you might be feeling as though you are alone and with no one to turn to, there are actually many different resources available to you to not only report the suspected abuse, but to also seek justice for the pain and suffering your loved one has had to endure.


Let’s start with the hotlines and helplines you can call.

The National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) says that you call the following hotlines/helplines if you suspect that your loved one is being abused, neglected, or exploited in the state of Illinois:


  • Senior Helpline-1-800-252-8966


  • Senior Services Area Agency on Aging- 312-746-8541. The physical address for this agency is located at:

1615 W. Chicago Avenue, 3rdFloor

Chicago, IL 60622


  • Illinois Department of Public Health’s Nursing Home Complaint Hotline- 1-800-252-4343


State Government Agencies also accept complaints regarding elder abuse in Illinois. The contact information for the agency you can report the suspected abuse to is provided below:


  • Illinois Department of Aging, Adult Protective Services- This agency handles reports filed for suspected abuse neglect, or financial exploitation for adults 60 years of age or older or for individuals ages 18-59 who suffer from a disability. You can contact this agency by calling 1-866-800-1409.


nursing home abuse lawyers in Chicago, IL

Not only can you report cases of abuse to state agencies, but you can also contact an IL nursing home abuse lawyer who can help you take action and file suit against the facility and/or worker who was responsible for harming your elderly loved one.

Aside from reporting the alleged abuse, you are also encouraged to contact a Chicago, IL nursing home abuse and neglect attorney. Why? Although the agencies mentioned above work to help identify and reprimand nursing home workers as well as facilities who allow or engage in abuse or neglect, you need someone working on your side who is able to give you their undivided attention and see to it that justice is served. While your complaint could lead to a nursing home worker losing their job or the facility having their funding cut off for a few months, it doesn’t change the fact that your loved one was mistreated and/or harmed when they should have been cared for and tended to.

Although you can’t take back the suffering your loved one experienced, you can demand that they be compensated to make up for the abuse that occurred. Not only might this compensation be used to cover the cost of the medical expenses for treatment your loved one needed due to the conditions they were living under, but it could also help you afford to move them into a more suitable, safe, and caring environment where you can have peace of mind knowing they aren’t being mistreated.

Therefore, if you are interested in learning more about what steps you will need to take to recover the compensation your loved one deserves as a result of the abuse that has been inflicted upon them, contact today. We will get you connected with a nearby nursing home abuse lawyer in Chicago, IL who will serve as your advocate and ensure justice is obtained.