We expect our nursing homes to provide quality care to aging adults and treat the residents living there with respect and dignity. Not only is it a requirement for homes to provide this, but the residents have the right to receive it. The reality is, not all nursing homes in Maryland are living up to the expectations that have been set for them. So, what can a family do when they feel as though the care that is being provided by staff at their loved one’s nursing home is lacking?


There are a number of things you can do if you feel the quality care is lacking in the nursing home your loved one lives in.


According to the Maryland Attorney General’s Office, if you have concerns regarding the care that is being provided in a nursing home in Bethesda, MD, you should:


  1. Express your concerns to the nurse that is in charge of your loved one’s unit.
  2. If your concerns aren’t properly addressed, you can then “go up to the chain of command.”
  3. If you don’t feel comfortable with reporting your concerns to someone in the facility as they may be the one who is rendering the substandard care, the home may have a hotline you can call so that you can make a confidential report.
  4. In the event you believe that your loved one’s health or life is at risk, the Maryland Attorney General’s Office says you should “immediately contact the director of nursing, administrator or the medical director.”


When you notify a home’s administrator that your loved one’s health or life is at risk, they are “required to investigate your complaint within 30 days.” Now, there have been instances where administrators failed to conduct a thorough investigation or report a case of abuse or neglect to the local authorities, so it is important that you stay on top of the administrator and ensure they follow through with their duties.


What if I am displeased with how the administrator is handling my complaint?


If you are dissatisfied with how your complaint is being handled, you can do one or more of the following to address it:

  1. Contact the Office of Health Care Quality (OHCQ) at 410-402-8201 to report your complaint.
  2. Write a letter to the OHCQ and send it to the following address:

Spring Grove Hospital Center, Bland Bryant Building

55 Wade Avenue, Catonsville, MD 21228

  1. File your complaint online with the Maryland Department of Health.
  2. Contact a Bethesda, MD nursing home abuse attorney.

Although filing a complaint will help recognize a facility for failing to provide its residents with the quality care they are entitled to, it won’t provide your loved one with the justice they deserve for the suffering they have been subjected to. If you’d like to recognize a nursing home for mistreating or harming your aging relative and potentially recover compensation for their suffering, contact The Law Offices of Michael E. Gross today.

The Law Offices of Michael E. Gross is located at:

4800 Hampden Lane #200
Bethesda, MD 20814

Phone: 301-718-2988