Charlotte, NC- Many nursing home residents in North Carolina face the sad reality of nursing home abuse and/or neglect. Numerous facilities in the state offer excellent care, protect residents from harm and meet their every need but not all facilities do and residents suffer as a consequence. If a resident is a victim of abuse or neglect, what options does a resident have to seek justice? How can they make sure a facility pays for their negligence? Are they eligible for compensation?

Approximately one in ten seniors in the U.S. will face nursing home abuse or neglect according to the National Center on Elder Abuse. That’s a large number of seniors who are put at serious risk of injury or death but fortunately they have the option of filing a personal injury claim if they become the victims of abuse or neglect.

If your elderly loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, USAttorneys recommends that you contact an elder abuse lawyer in North Carolina immediately. They will evaluate the details of your case and outline the steps you need to take to get the compensation your love one deserves. They will also outline the steps you need to take to have a successful personal injury or wrongful death claim.

The first step a family should take is contact the administrators at the facility and inform them of the alleged abuse or neglect. Most facilities will immediately launch an investigation and determine if the allegations are true.

The second step is to contact the North Carolina’s Long Term Care Ombudsmen. They are a state agency that investigates claims of abuse and neglect and can determine if a facility should be cited.

After you’ve notified the right authorities, USAttorneys urges you to speak with an elder law attorney and discuss what steps you need to take next. They may find that you are eligible for substantial compensation and will begin the process of filing a personal injury or wrongful death claim.

If you decide to pursue an injury claim, your attorney will begin investigating your allegations and building an unbeatable injury claim on behalf of your loved one.

If you decide to file a personal injury claim, your counsel will notify a facility about your claim and you just have to wait for a response. But don’t expect them to get back to you immediately since they too will want to speak with an attorney.

After you receive a facility’s response to your wrongful death or personal injury claim, you can then decide how you want to resolve your case. You can may be able to settle out of court, through negotiations, mediation or arbitration or you may be better off taking your case to court.

Our team of nursing home abuse attorneys in North Carolina will help you decide the best way for you to resolve your case and will work to ensure your loved one gets the settlement they deserve.