Nursing homes that take Medicaid are not allowed to legally take more money from their residents. If a person is residing in a nursing home and their living fees are being paid through Medicaid then they are not liable to pay the nursing home any more money.

If the management or one of the employees does try and get more of a resident’s money, the victim should not waste any time and they should get in touch with a nursing home abuse lawyer in Crown Point, Indiana so they can get their money back and stop future abuse as well.

Do I have to give a nursing home money if my Medicaid is pending?

Living in a nursing home can be quite costly and that is what Medicaid is for. Medicaid provides financial support to those individuals who do not have the funds to pay for proper care in their old age. The tricky part about Medicaid is that in order to be eligible for it a person generally needs to be residing in a nursing home or be admitted to the hospital.

If a person has applied for Medicaid then their application is considered to be in the pending process. In this stage, seniors can be admitted to a nursing home under the condition that the nursing home has some sort of guarantee they will receive the payment.

If a senior is in this situation and the nursing home is demanding money from them they can rest assured that nursing homes are not allowed to remove- or kick out- seniors simply on the basis that they were unable to pay for their care.

If a senior is being abused because they did not receive their Medicaid on time or because their application is pending for a longer time then they expected, they should not hesitate to reach out to a legal professional in order to stop the abuse and to get possible compensation for the way they were treated.

Do I need a lawyer when applying for Medicaid?

It is definitely possible for a person to file the application for Medicaid on their own alongside the help of hospitals and nursing homes. However, it is always best to have an educated lawyer in Crown Point, Indiana by one’s side from the beginning of the application in case anything goes wrong later on down the road.

If a person is not eligible for Medicaid then they have other programs which they can partake in to pay for their nursing home expenses as well. Some examples of alternative forms of financial support are:

  • Long term care insurance
  • Reverse mortgages
  • Relocating to a more affordable state

An attorney can help fill out forms and help an elder request all the correct documents from their nursing home to ensure their rights are protected and they are not abused or taken advantage of during their stay.