When family members admit an elderly member of their family into a nursing home in Alaska as a resident, they expect that the nursing home will provide the best of medical care, treatment, social respect, nutrition, etc. Relatives of a resident trust the nursing home to make the physical and mental lives of the resident better and also to improve the overall quality of life itself.
Sadly, nursing home abuse is a real and persistent problem in the state of Alaska as it is everywhere else. This type of behavior should not be tolerated and should be punished. America needs to get rid of mean and terrible people! There are many forms of nursing home abuse, and residents have certain rights and protections against such abuse. Chapter 12 of Title 7 specifically details these rights.
What are the rights of a nursing home resident in Alaska?
Alaskan nursing home residents have certain rights in order to protect them from physical abuse and also from the use of banned drugs (depressants, and so on) in order to manipulate their behavior and make them more abiding and easy to deal with. There are several other rights that are provided to nursing home residents too as stated in the Act under Alaskan state law. Some of these are as follows:
- The right to be treated with respect, dignity, and to be given reasonable consideration
- The right to be free from medication which is not required or can be deemed as excessive
- The right to be able to socially associate with whomsoever they please freely
- The right which grants them unrestricted access to communication lines
- The right to receive mail which has not been opened or tampered with
- The right to have their medical records and other documentation kept confidential
- The right to have equal say in the development of a care plan
- The right to be informed, in writing, of their rights and protections by the nursing home at the time of admission
However, in cases of nursing home abuse, one may find that one or more of these rights have been violated. In such cases, it is almost certain that you have a solid case of nursing home abuse on your hands and you should be able to recover damages by filing a civil lawsuit with respect to this nursing home abuse.
Why you need an Alaskan nursing home abuse lawyer?
Filing and winning a nursing home abuse lawsuit is not easy. It requires diligent work, evidence, legal expertise, and a flawless presentation of the lawsuit and the claims within it. Remember that the burden of proof lies on your shoulders – this means that you need to prove that the nursing home was negligent.
Talk to one of our profound Alaska nursing home abuse lawyers today and get the best legal representation possible! You can do this by using USAttorneys.com!
This amazing and interactive website saves lives all week long and has been doing righteous work for years now. Legal help is right around the virtual corner.